Welcome to the Buy-to-let area of our Mortgage section which has been carefully compiled to cover the holistic mortgage experience for those looking to secure a buy-to-let mortgage on a property that will be rented out to generate an income.
In this section we assume you are already familiar with mortgages, you may want to first recap by refreshing your memory by reviewing the mortgage guides in our First Time Buyers or Remortgage section. The buy-to-let mortgage guides start by covering the basics of buy-to-let and expands into key areas of buy-to-let with supporting buy-to-let calculators and tools to provide a solid financial and practical understanding of buy-to-let mortgages and the tax implications of being a private landlord. Our aim is to ensure you are financially well-informed before you commit to a new buy-to-let mortgage deal and save as much of your money as possible.
Key questions you need to ask before taking a buy-to-let mortgage
- What is my borrowing capacity?
- Which lender is offering me the best mortgage rate?
- Which mortgage type is best suited for me?
- How will I repay the new mortgage if I don't have any tenants?
- What if I cannot repay the mortgage and the mortgage is higher than the property value?
- Is the lender providing me with an option to make lump sum payments?
- Do I have to pay a penalty if I redeem the mortgage earlier?
- Am I getting insurance along with this mortgage?
- Are there any additional charges?
- Are there any hidden clauses?
The Buy-to-let section guides you through specific mortgage articles and has free online remortgage and budgeting calculators embedded so you can work out everything you need to know as you progress. If you couldn't answer the questions above comfortably, you should be able to do so once you have worked you way through the relevant Buy-to-let mortgage guides.
Getting around the Buy-to-let Mortgage section
We assume you are already familiar with mortgages and our website but, if you're not, here's a quick guide to help you make the most of the buy-to-let guides and tools that we provide.
Each mortgage section is specifically tailored to support different people in different situations who are commonly looking to secure a mortgage on a property (whether first time buyer, remortgaging, buy-to-let or simply working out their mortgage and/or household budget). Each mortgage article can be read independently or as part of the mortgage package, just like reading a book. Each mortgage article will have a link to the previous article and the next in the series, there will also be featured links to calculators and supporting information for those looking to purchase a property using a buy-to-let mortgage.
Some people prefer to jump around our buy-to-let mortgage articles and tools rather than follow the mortgage guides in sequence, that's fine with us. We have added a quick links box to the right which features articles, information and online calculators and tools for existing and new landlords looking to purchase a property to rent out. Simply click on the topic to see a list of the most popular content. The quick links tool does not contain links to all our buy-to-let guides and calculators, just the popular ones. If you are looking for something specific and can't find a link, use the search tool.
The "next" and "previous" mortgage guide links will appear below each guide, just like the one below. Click on the white box to get started with the first "Buy-to-let Mortgage Guide".
Let's get started: What is a Buy-to-let Mortgage?
- What is a Buy-to-let Mortgage?
- How do buy to let mortgages work?
- Budgeting for a buy-to-let mortgage
- Who can get a buy-to-let mortgage?
- How much can I borrow on a buy-to-let mortgage?
- Understanding buy-to-let mortgages and tax
- Pros and Cons of buy-to-let mortgages