Council Tax Rises 2013
A recent survey conducted by the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (Cipfa) suggests that over 40% of council will be increasing their council tax this year.
The good news is that the expected council tax rises will, overall, increase less than 1% on average.
The 2013 council tax rises come despite continued government incentives to local council who freeze their existing tax rates.
The tax rises are being attributed to known economic pressures and challenges meeting local budget commitments. Local council tax rate increases are capped at 2% but some councils have sought legal advice to exploit legal loopholes to increase tax rates above 2% (increases to waste management and transport costs are not subject to the cap) whilst others have sat just under the cap at 1.99%.
Councils can increase tax rates above 2% but must this requires a local referendum and is never a popular process with costs circa £250k.
Regional variations include an average 1.2% rise across Yorkshire and Humber, and a 0.1% increase in London.
It's not all doom and gloom though, some councils have revisited their budgets and effectively managed their resources to delivers council tax cuts, unfortunately this is the exception rather than the norm.
How will this effect your spending power this year? Use our 2013/14 Salary Calculator to see how your household budget will hold up this year.
Popular News, Guides and Calculators
People who read 'Council Tax increases for 2013 | iCalculator' also viewed the following articles, apps, guides and calculators:
Salary Calculators & Tools
- 2016/17 PAYE Tax Calculator (UK)
- 2016 Tax Calculator (US)
- 2016 Tax Calculator (CN)
- 2016 Tax Calculator (CA)
- 2016 Tax Calculator (AU)
- 2016 Tax Calculator (IN)
- 2016 Tax Calculator (JM)
- Employer NIC Calculator
- Mortgage Calculator
- Personal Loan Calculator
- Global Tax Calculators
- Dividends Calculator 2016/17
- Corporation Tax Calculator 2016/17
- VAT Calculator
- Small Business Rate Relief Calculator
- Payslip Calculator and Analysis
- Employer NIC's Calculator
- Employer NIC Salary Examples
- Labor Cost Per Employee Calculator
- Revenue Per Employee Calculator
- Simplified TimeSheet Calculator
- Timesheet Calculator
- True Cost Of An Employee Calculator
- Bradford Factor Calculator
- Cost Per Hire Calculator
- Turnover Rate Calculator
- Performance Management Calculator
- Time To Fill Open Vacancies Calculator
- Turnover Cost Calculator
- First Year Employment Turnover Rate Calculator